Monday, October 17, 2022

October 17 = Life of Christ #206 (Matthew 25:31-46) Jesus tells about the final judgment

Jesus tells about the final judgment

Matthew 25:31-46

Intro Questions

The Sheep and the Goats

Matthew 25:31–46

31“When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left. 34Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of Me; I was in prison and you visited Me.’

37“Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? 39When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You?’

40“And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’ 41Then He will also say to those on the left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his angels! 42For I was hungry and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43I was a stranger and you didn’t take Me in; I was naked and you didn’t clothe Me, sick and in prison and you didn’t take care of Me.’

44“Then they too will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or without clothes, or sick, or in prison, and not help You?’

45“Then He will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me either.’

46“And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”[1]



[1] Knight, G. W. (2001). A simplified harmony of the Gospels (p. 205). Holman Bible Publishers.


Text Graphic
  • God is ... What do we learn about God in this passage?
  • We are ... What do we learn about people in this passage?

  • I will ... What has the Holy Spirit revealed to us in this passage? How can I apply it to my life this week?

  • You can ... Who do you know who needs to hear this? Feel free to share with others by social media links at the bottom of this.










Other Resources:

 

Document for DBS

Series: Be Different “Making Transformative Moves” Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Title: Different Posturre

Bookmark: Click Here

Opening Thoughts: What does it mean to be a non-anxious presence in your home, work and in the world? Is it even possible? Learn how the voice of chronic anxiety can be stilled by the truth of the gospel.

v  Welcome Mat & Cameras

o   What message are we sending? What is our posture?

===============================================================

Text: Matthew 25:31-46

The Sheep and the Goats

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

 

===============================================================

Summarize the main story: Describe the events of the story in your own words.

v  Review and retell the story.

Reflections for applications:

o   Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

v  Look at the way Jesus interacted with others who were different

v  When you show genuine hospitality, you are being like Jesus

o   Hebrews 13:1-3 Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. 2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. 3 Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.

§  Hospitality = philoxenia   philo (love, brother) xenia (stranger, foreigner)

·         Making a stranger a brother.

·         It has been an enormous blessing to get to know these guys. They have shown me genuine hospitality; they know how to give big even though they have so little. The biggest thing I’ve tried to do is be a consistent presence and let them know they have people who care about them. – Brian Eastman

v  What is your posture toward those who are different from you?

v  FEAR is the force that moves us away from demonstrating the heart of Jesus to others.

o   Jon Tyson – “Categorizing people as ‘other’ has a profound impact on our capacity to love. It changes our desire for connection and the responsibility we feel. Distance creates fear, and fear gives us a (reason) for suspicion, causing us to withhold care.”

o   FEAR > Categorize > Dehumanize > Demonize

o   1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

o   Ephesians 2:11-13 Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called “uncircumcised” by those who call themselves “the circumcision” (which is done in the body by human hands)— 12 remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ.

 

Digging Questions:

·         How will you respond in being different? What transformative move needs to be made?

·         What do these biblical texts tell you about God and His nature?

·         What is God calling us to do?

Take Away Challenges

·         What has the Holy Spirit revealed to you in this passage? How will you apply it to your life this week?

·         Whom do you know who needs to hear this?

·         What is God bringing to your attention in this discussion? What beliefs, thoughts or actions need to be addressed or changed?

Hash tags #Welcome #Hospitality #

Sunday sermon link          https://youtu.be/30dqRfNkx0c

Kevin’s Blog Link to more resources: Click here for Kevin’s Blog Notes

Comments and resources with some more resources:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25%3A31-46&version=NIV



No comments: