Wednesday, November 02, 2022

November 2 = Life of Christ #218 (John 16:16-33) Jesus teaches about using his name in prayer

Jesus teaches about using his name in prayer
John 16:16-33

16“A little while and you will no longer see Me; again a little while and you will see Me.”

17Therefore some of His disciples said to one another, “What is this He tells us: ‘A little while and you will not see Me; again a little while and you will see Me’; and, ‘because I am going to the Father’?” 18They said, “What is this He is saying, ‘A little while’? We don’t know what He’s talking about!”

19Jesus knew they wanted to question Him, so He said to them, “Are you asking one another about what I said, ‘A little while and you will not see Me; again a little while and you will see Me’?

20“I assure you: You will weep and wail, but the world will rejoice. You will become sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn to joy. 21When a woman is in labor she has pain because her time has come. But when she has given birth to a child, she no longer remembers the suffering because of the joy that a person has been born into the world. 22So you also have sorrow now. But I will see you again. Your hearts will rejoice, and no one will rob you of your joy. 23aIn that day you will not ask Me anything.

23b“I assure you: Anything you ask the Father in My name, He will give you. 24Until now you have asked for nothing in My name. Ask and you will receive, that your joy may be complete.

25“I have spoken these things to you in figures of speech. A time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. 26In that day you will ask in My name. I am not telling you that I will make requests to the Father on your behalf. 27For the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came from God. 28I came from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I am leaving the world and going to the Father.”

29“Ah!” His disciples said. “Now You’re speaking plainly and not using any figurative language. 30Now we know that You know everything and don’t need anyone to question You. By this we believe that You came from God.”

31Jesus responded to them, “Do you now believe? 32Look: An hour is coming, and has come, when you will be scattered each to his own home, and you will leave Me alone. Yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. 33I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have suffering. But take courage! I have conquered the world.”[1]


[1] Knight, G. W. (2001). A simplified harmony of the Gospels (pp. 217–218). Holman Bible Publishers.


Intro Questions

Text Graphic
  • God is ... What do we learn about God in this passage?
  • We are ... What do we learn about people in this passage?

  • I will ... What has the Holy Spirit revealed to us in this passage? How can I apply it to my life this week?

  • You can ... Who do you know who needs to hear this? Feel free to share with others by social media links at the bottom of this.










Other Resources:





No comments: