Friday, September 16, 2022

September 16 = Life of Christ #185 (John 12:20-36) Jesus Explains Why He Must Die

Jesus Explains Why He Must Die
John 12:20-36

Intro Questions



Greeks Ask to See Jesus

John 12:20–50

20Now among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. 21So they came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, and requested of him, “Sir, we want to see Jesus.”

22Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and Philip went and told Jesus. 23Jesus replied to them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.

24“I assure you: Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains by itself. But if it dies, it produces a large crop. 25The one who loves his life will lose it, and the one who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me. Where I am, there My servant also will be. If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.

27“Now My soul is troubled. What should I say—‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But that is why I came to this hour. 28aFather, glorify Your name!”

28bThen a voice came from heaven: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again!”

29The crowd standing there heard it and said it was thunder. Others said, “An angel has spoken to Him!”

30Jesus responded, “This voice came, not for Me, but for you. 31Now is the judgment of this world. Now the ruler of this world will be cast out. 32As for Me, if I am lifted up from the earth I will draw all people to Myself.” 33He said this to signify what kind of death He was about to die.

34Then the crowd replied to Him, “We have heard from the law that the Messiah would remain forever. So how can You say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this Son of Man?”

35Jesus answered, “The light will be with you only a little longer. Walk while you have the light, so that darkness doesn’t overtake you. The one who walks in darkness doesn’t know where he’s going. 36While you have the light, believe in the light, so that you may become sons of light.” Jesus said this, then went away and hid from them.[1]



[1] Knight, G. W. (2001). A simplified harmony of the Gospels (pp. 186–187). Holman Bible Publishers.


Text Graphic
  • God is ... What do we learn about God in this passage?
  • We are ... What do we learn about people in this passage?

  • I will ... What has the Holy Spirit revealed to us in this passage? How can I apply it to my life this week?

  • You can ... Who do you know who needs to hear this? Feel free to share with others by social media links at the bottom of this.








https://www.youtube.com/c/edmondchurchofchrist

Other Resources:

Working Document for DBS

Title: The Easy Option by Ken Jones

v  Ken has recently been studying John

Ø  Begin with the End in Mind

§  Stephen Covey = The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Ø  Things that we dread

§  Surgery, debt, etc.

Ø  Stay the course

 

 

Text: John 12:27-29

27 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name!

Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” 29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.

 

Summarize the main theme/story: Describe the events of the story in your own words.

·         Review and retell the story.

Reflections for applications:

v  "Now my soul is troubled...”

v  “...and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour?’”

o   “Easy Option” (Shall I quit?)

v  This very reason

v  Encouragement

o   Moses

o   Elijah

 

Digging Questions:

·        How is your faith?

·        What do these biblical texts tell you about God and His nature?

·        What is God calling us to do?

Take Away Challenges

·        What has the Holy Spirit revealed to you in this passage? How will you apply it to your life this week?

·        Whom do you know who needs to hear this?

·        What is God bringing to your attention in this discussion? What beliefs, thoughts or actions need to be addressed or changed?

Hashtags #Power #Love #Purpose

Sunday sermon link    https://www.youtube.com/@EdmondChurchofChrist

Comments about some details:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah%202&version=NIV





No comments: