Tuesday, December 13, 2022

#247 Jesus Challenges Peter (John 21:15-25) December 13 = Life of Christ

Jesus Challenges Peter
John 21:15-25

Intro Questions

Jesus Reinstates Peter

John 21:15–19

15aWhen they had eaten breakfast, Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?”

15b“Yes, Lord,” he said to Him, “You know that I love You.”

15cFeed My lambs,” He told him.

16aA second time He asked him, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?”

16b“Yes, Lord,” he said to Him, “You know that I love You.”

16c“Shepherd My sheep,” He told him.

17aHe asked him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?”

17bPeter was grieved that He asked him the third time, “Do you love Me?” He said, “Lord, You know everything! You know that I love You.”

17cFeed My sheep,” Jesus said. 18“I assure you: When you were young, you would tie your belt and walk wherever you wanted. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands and someone else will tie you and carry you where you don’t want to go.” 19He said this to signify by what kind of death he would glorify God. After saying this, He told him, “Follow Me!”

Jesus and Peter Discuss the Future of the Apostle John

John 21:20–24

20So Peter turned around and saw the disciple Jesus loved following them. That disciple was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and asked, “Lord, who is the one that’s going to betray You?” 21When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord—what about him?”

22“If I want him to remain until I come,” Jesus answered, “what is that to you? As for you, follow Me.”

23So this report spread to the brothers that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not tell him that he would not die, but, “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?”

24This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.[1]


[1] Knight, G. W. (2001). A simplified harmony of the Gospels (pp. 252–253). Holman Bible Publishers.


Text Graphic

After breakfast Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these others?"
"Yes," Peter replied, "you know I am your friend."
"Then feed my lambs," Jesus told him.
Jesus repeated the question: "Simon, son of John, do you really love me?"
"Yes, Lord," Peter said, "you know I am your friend."
"Then take care of my sheep," Jesus said.
Once more he asked him, "Simon, son of John, are you even my friend?"
Peter was grieved at the way Jesus asked the question this third time. "Lord, you know my heart; you know I am," he said.
Jesus said, "Then feed my little sheep. When you were young, you were able to do as you liked and go wherever you wanted to; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands and others will direct you and take you where you don't want to go." Jesus said this to let him know what kind of death he would die to glorify God. Then Jesus told him, "Follow me."
Peter turned around and saw the disciple Jesus loved following, the one who had leaned around at supper that time to ask Jesus, "Master, which of us will betray you?" Peter asked Jesus, "What about him, Lord? What sort of death will he die?"
Jesus replied, "If I want him to live until I return, what is that to you? You follow me."
So the rumor spread among the brotherhood that that disciple wouldn't die! But that isn't what Jesus said at all! He only said, "If I want him to live until I come, what is that to you?"
I am that disciple! I saw these events and have recorded them here. And we all know that my account of these things is accurate.
And I suppose that if all the other events in Jesus' life were written, the whole world could hardly contain the books!



  • God is ... What do we learn about God in this passage?
  • We are ... What do we learn about people in this passage?

  • I will ... What has the Holy Spirit revealed to us in this passage? How can I apply it to my life this week?

  • You can ... Who do you know who needs to hear this? Feel free to share with others by social media links at the bottom of this.


Do You Truly Love Him?
Jesus asked Peter three times if he loved him. The first time Jesus said, "Do you love (Greek agape: volitional, self-sacrificial love) me more than these others?" The second time, Jesus focused on Peter alone and still used the Greek word agape. The third time, Jesus used the Greek word phileo (signifying affection, affinity, or brotherly love) and asked, in effect, "Are you even my friend?" Each time Peter responded with the Greek word phileo. Jesus doesn't settle for quick, superficial answers. He has a way of getting to the heart of the matter. Peter had to face his true feelings and motives when Jesus confronted him. How would you respond if Jesus asked you, "Do you love me?" Do you really love Jesus? Are you even his friend?


This was a prediction of Peter's death by crucifixion. Tradition indicates that Peter was crucified for his faith—upside down because he did not feel worthy of dying as his Lord had died. Despite the future, Jesus told Peter to follow him.


Don't Compare
Peter asked Jesus how John would die. Jesus replied that Peter should not concern himself with that. We tend to compare our lives to others, whether to rationalize our own level of devotion to Christ or to question God's justice. Jesus responds to us as he did to Peter: "What is that to you? You follow me." When you follow Christ and live as he wants you to, there is no need to compare yourself with others. People make comparisons for many reasons. Some point out others' flaws in order to feel better about themselves. Others simply want reassurance that they are doing well. When you are tempted to compare, look at Jesus Christ. His example will inspire you to do your very best, and his loving acceptance will comfort you when you fall short of your expectations.


Early church history reports that after John spent several years as an exile on the island of Patmos, he returned to Ephesus where he died as an old man, near the end of the first century.






No comments: