Friday, December 09, 2022

#245 Jesus Appears to Thomas (Mark 16:14; John 20:24-31) December 9 = Life of Christ

Jesus Appears to Thomas
Mark 16:14
John 20:24-31


Jesus Appears to Thomas and the Other Disciples

John 20:26–29

26After eight days His disciples were indoors again, and Thomas was with them. Even though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them. He said, “Peace to you!”

27Then He said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and observe My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Don’t be an unbeliever but a believer.”

28Thomas responded to Him, “My Lord and my God!

29Jesus said, “Because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who believe without seeing.”[1]


[1] Knight, G. W. (2001). A simplified harmony of the Gospels (p. 251). Holman Bible Publishers.


Intro Questions

Text Graphic

One of the disciples, Thomas, "The Twin," was not there at the time with the others. When they kept telling him, "We have seen the Lord," he replied, "I won't believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands—and put my fingers into them—and place my hand into his side."
Eight days later the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, as before, Jesus was standing among them and greeting them.
Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger into my hands. Put your hand into my side. Don't be faithless any longer. Believe!"
"My Lord and my God!" Thomas said.
Then Jesus told him, "You believe because you have seen me. But blessed are those who haven't seen me and believe anyway."
Jesus' disciples saw him do many other miracles besides the ones told about in this book, but these are recorded so that you will believe that he is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that believing in him you will have life.

  • God is ... What do we learn about God in this passage?
  • We are ... What do we learn about people in this passage?

  • I will ... What has the Holy Spirit revealed to us in this passage? How can I apply it to my life this week?

  • You can ... Who do you know who needs to hear this? Feel free to share with others by social media links at the bottom of this.



Good Doubts
Jesus wasn't hard on Thomas for his doubts. Despite his skepticism, Thomas was still loyal to the believers and to Jesus himself. Some people need to doubt before they believe. If doubt leads to questions, questions lead to answers, and the answers are accepted, then doubt has done good work. It is when doubt becomes stubbornness and stubbornness becomes a lifestyle that doubt harms faith. When you doubt, don't stop there. Let your doubt deepen your faith as you continue to search for the answer.


To understand the life and mission of Jesus more fully, all we need to do is study the Gospels. John tells us that his Gospel records only a few of the many events in Jesus' life on earth. But the gospel includes everything we need to know to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, through whom we receive eternal life.

https://youtu.be/MiC6L7REP0Q

No comments: