Friday, November 18, 2022

November 18 = Life of Christ #230 (Matthew 27:11-14; Mark 15:2-5; Luke 23:1-5; John 18:28-37) Jesus' Trial Before Pilate

Jesus' Trial Before Pilate
Matthew 27:11-14
Mark 15:2-5
Luke 23:1-5
John 18:28-37

Intro Questions

Jesus’ First Hearing Before Pilate

Matthew 27:2, 11–14; Mark 15:1–5; Luke 23:2–5; John 18:28–38

Jn 18:28–29Then they took Jesus from Caiaphas to the governor’s headquarters. It was early morning. They did not enter the headquarters themselves; otherwise they would be defiled and unable to eat the Passover. 29Then Pilate came out to them and said, “What charge do you bring against this man?”

30They answered him, “If this man weren’t a criminal, we wouldn’t have handed Him over to you.”

31aSo Pilate told them, “Take Him yourselves and judge Him according to your law.”

31b“It’s not legal for us to put anyone to death,” the Jews declared. 32They said this so that Jesus’ words might be fulfilled signifying what sort of death He was going to die.

33Then Pilate went back into the headquarters, summoned Jesus, and said to Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?

34Jesus answered, “Are you asking this on your own, or have others told you about Me?”

35“I’m not a Jew, am I?” Pilate replied. “Your own nation and the chief priests handed You over to me. What have You done?”

A Spiritual Kingdom

36“My kingdom is not of this world,” said Jesus. “If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I wouldn’t be handed over to the Jews. As it is, My kingdom does not have its origin here.”

37a“You are a king then?” Pilate asked.

37b“You say that I’m a king,” Jesus replied. “I was born for this, and I have come into the world for this: to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to My voice.”

38aWhat is truth?” said Pilate.

38bAfter he had said this, he went out to the Jews again and told them, “I find no grounds for charging Him.

Lk 23:2They began to accuse Him, saying, “We found this man subverting our nation, opposing payment of taxes to Caesar, and saying that He Himself is the Messiah, a King.” Mk 15:3And the chief priests began to accuse Him of many things.

Mt 27:13–14Then Pilate said to Him, “Don’t You hear how much they are testifying against You?” 14But He didn’t answer him on even one charge, so that the governor was greatly amazed.

Lk 23:5But they kept insisting, “He stirs up the people, teaching throughout all Judea, from Galilee where He started even to here.”[1]



[1] Knight, G. W. (2001). A simplified harmony of the Gospels (pp. 229–230). Holman Bible Publishers.



  • God is ... What do we learn about God in this passage?
  • We are ... What do we learn about people in this passage?

  • I will ... What has the Holy Spirit revealed to us in this passage? How can I apply it to my life this week?

  • You can ... Who do you know who needs to hear this? Feel free to share with others by social media links at the bottom of this.



No comments: